Friday, May 04, 2007

A Night with Samuel Beckett

Samuel Beckett plays are waaayy too abstract for my liking and comprehension. I am no ardent reader of plays so I didn't quite expect to understand some of the themes fleshed out. But until Lest enlightened CT and me with her much-needed commentary, we, and I suspect a greater part of the audience, were watching in silent albeit weary puzzlement as the initial anticipation gradually faded. The ending of the plays did not reward the patience of the audience. The central theme running through the four plays was the futility of life, related to absurdism. The spectre of death was looming in every play; not advisable if you're feeling already depressed or worse, suicidal. Wasn't a very good showcase of acting chops since most of the lines were delivered in a expressionless, monotone ramble. There was one line that I really liked "She said I can smell you on him. He smelled of bitch."

No comments: