Friday, October 13, 2006

RJ Open House

There were many people, clad in their respective jerseys or T-shirts, holding their CCA equipment and trouping around the school. RJ has never seemed so alive! The RP people had their faces painted in what I thought were stylish and classy masks. I came late but no big loss there because most of the demo people were no where to be found. I hardly fenced during my shift and only fenced in the afternoon when my shift was technically over. I went to the amphi to watch the befrienders mass dance and the CCA performances. The fencing performance while rather cool in my opinion, did not seem to elicit as much response as CCAs like judo. But at least we managed to show a demonstration of fencing whereas some CCAs just sent representatives to greet the crowds. I really enjoyed the dance performances; the music and nifty moves certainly send the crowds into a mood to groove. Giving out souvenirs was an embarassing experience and it was really weird because I didn't feel so self-conscious when I was doing flag day. Around lunch time, I met a teacher for a chit chat session. I felt he was rather frank and candid about his own experiences which made me feel less awkward when relating my situation to him. Thank you for your advice and guidance =)! Went to the KI and TSD booths to take a look; the design for the TSD booths was highly interesting. I especially liked the dolled up mannequin sitting in the corner of the room.
Reub and Darren did theatric fencing in the afternoon, starting at first with the grass patch between Block A and B. But since the ground was too slippery, Mr Ng, in a stroke of brilliance, asked them to fence in LT 2!!! Reub nearly knocked into the vice-principal but apart from that potentially school life ruining hitch, the amusing somewhat haphazard performance acheived its intended effect. People were awestruck and curious. I fenced and RI foilist for 2 15 point bouts and lost 14-15 and 9-15 on both counts. Still, it was a good practice and I reckon JX was right after all. There is nothing much to be afraid of. My Ng very nicely bought us sweets and lots of drinks! Am I glad fencing has such thoughtful and sweet teachers =)! At 4 ish, we commenced packing up and throwing away all the rubbish. People were leaving in dribs and drabs so by 5 plus there was only me, Darren, Joanna and Bernice. We played several games of Bridge with Uno and me being the NOOB, was generally the last to figure out who my partner was. Darren left when Reub and someone with him rudely cut short our bridge game and so we did dummy bridge for a bit. Lincoln joined in and we played a last game before going home.

No comments: