Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Singapore Biennale: Belief





I am no geat lover of the arts so getting the Singapore Biennale for learning journey wasn't exactly my idea of an enriching experience. Further dampening the situation was the fact that less than half of the class could attend and the point of learning journey was to foster class bonding.
I was pleasantly surprised to find myself interested in the exhibits and a lot of that interest comes from the two Art Club students giving commentaries. Without their two cent's worth on the artist's intentions and the meanings behind the art work, an unispired dullard like me from the Science stream would merely have seen a photograph as well....a photograph. Many thanks to the students whose palpable passion for the artworks infected our class as well.
Apart from admiring the artworks and mulling over the thought-provoking questions that they posed, there were freebies in the forms of badges to collect. I collected a grand total of 24 and there are still more to collect at the rest of the venues where the Biennale is being held, namely Tanglin Camp, SAM and national Museum. When school ends, I'll probably head down for a visit.
The artworks came in video installations, paintings, photographs and presented their messages, sometimes obscure, to the audience. Art I guess, is a little like Literature. The art piece can be interpreted in a multitude of ways by different people as each person has their own experiences and memories which would make the art work appeal to certain aspects of them. Some art pieces had a touch of the macabre and the displays actually had a PG warning!
I spent my time on the train back pinning the badges I had amassed to the badge cloth. It resembled a half-done mosiac, unfinished but still replete in its own right.

No comments: