Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Asian Schools

Came to Pasir Ris CC about one and a half hour earlier because I overestimated the time it would take to reach there. Went for weapons check and thankfully everything passed. Terence had some problem with his lame which was solved when Henry brought his along. Good thing because he could not have fenced otherwise. Did some drills with JX because some of the female sabreurs already were sparring and there were no spare partners. Nellicia is quite a nice person and sometimes you just need to get to know others better.
I screwed all my bouts: 5-1, 5-0, 5-3, 5-1, 5-1, 5-1. Despite knowing what to do (JX was giving me advice on the sidelines), I could not quite execute it. My basic technique was off, right down from posture to lunging. It's terrible knowing what I have done in drills doesn't translate to the actual moment on the piste. When I was watching Pool 3 fence, it dawned upon me that I had actually being placed in the easiest pool and I would probably have done a lot worse if i had been there. Still, I missed my chance for DE -_-. I predictably, came in last and somehow while rather disappointed, was not extremely so. I hope its not because I'm getting use to bottoming lists (it happened for U-17s too).
On the bright side, Terence did pretty awesome, winning 2 of his 5 bouts. He fenced well but unfortunately lost 8-15. The referee was clearly biased, denying him some of his parry-riposte points and making several wrong calls. After lending Nell my chest protector, I headed back to school, conveniently missng S cube talk and arriving in time for exco meeting =).
They were all decorating the teacher's day cards for Mr Ng, Mr Teo and Dr Wong. Got some enquiries on how I did and sympathetic looks after. Reub told me he was actually tied for last, but because of his surname (Yeo), they put him at the bottom. Ouch! Wrote my name on the cards, putting it especially big Mr Teo's. Some people thought it was rather limelight stealing but the size of the name is proportional to my respect for the teacher -P. KIDDING! All of them are incredibly nice and helpful people who have been supporting us ceaselessly. Never mind the fact that comment reeks of politcal correctness.
Bernice, Joanna and me, took the cards to the Teacher's Room because certain people were planning to skip skool and thus not be able to present it to them tomorrow. TSK TSK. We gave one to Mr Teo but later retracted it as we had a brainwave. Why not paste it outside the staffroom? It certainly would be a pleasant surprise for them! So, we blue-tacked the cards to the wall (I hope they did not drop in the night) and took a picture with Joanna's handphone camera. While waiting for it to charge, we actually did footwork along the corridors =P. Talked to Joanna for a bit before leaving for home, deadbeat.

No comments: