Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Mad Hatter's Costume Ball












Finished Econs tutorial just in time for Mad Hatter's Costume Ball, the highlight of Lit Week. The two emcees, decked in girls' uniform, beatboxed and announced the entrants in a cool rap. Students clapped and cheered as their fellow class representatives dressed in outlandish garbs and garish costumes took the stage, sashaying and strutting. Willy Wonka, Lavinia, James and the Giant Peach, Neville Longbottom, Jack Sparrow and other familiar characters from Literature or pop culture made their
flamboyant or unglam appearance.
There was some best costume competition going on, but I didn't stay for the results. The thick crowds slowly dispersed with the ending of the catwalk.
Following that, was a renenactment of a scene from Anthony and Cleopatra, starring Seema, Sindhura and some guy. Sindhura's acting, as usual was stellar, as she brought out the maelstrom of emotions of the high-strung queen clearly. When she pummelled the unfortunate messager with her fists upon hearing of Anthony's marriage to Octavia, almost everyone's eyes were riveted. A Hokkien version of the sleepwalking scene from Macbeth was next and sadly, I failed to comprehend a word =(. Dialect is even more foreign to me than French, which I do not happen to speak either.
I browsed the many stalls after that, admiring the wares with a covetous eye. Shiny handmade trinkets and baubles, chocolate dipped marshmallows, chicken bits on a stick, pancakes, gingerbread men, brownies, nut delights and many others I will not name.
Hunger sated, I prowled around the amphitheater for a while and was going to head home when Janessa convinced me to enter her class's fortune telling booth. Reuben Foo went first and was accepted by the the soothsaying trio (Benson, Moni and another guy), so when it was my turn, I had 4 fortune tellers (or charlatans more like =P). Ok, it was pretty much a scam, and I, a willing participant to it. The comments ranged from utter gibberish to irrelevant observations (Southeast is the direction of the bus stop you must go - I don't take bus home by the way) to partial truths. Was highly amused and entertained by the entire experience. I especially liked the tea leaves part, although there was hardly any water to speak of. Paid up my $1 fee and headed for home...

No comments: