Sunday, June 18, 2006

U-17 Indivs

Entered Clementi Sports Hall with a strange sense of calm, the dread was oddly absent, something I found rather disquieting. Panicked later when I was having trouble fumbling with my equipment, the wire ended up snaking all over the place and the head clip snapped during one of my bouts. Would like to give my sincerest thanks to all those who helped me with wiring and lending me equipment :).
I lost all my bouts. 5-0, 5-0, 5-1, 5-1, 5-2. Somehow knowing that I was probably the one withe least experience did't make it any sweeter. Bottomed the list as the only fencer from RJ. Noelle didn't come as she was ill. Didn't feel much disappointment at first. Realised people deal with losing in different ways, some cry (the girl who lost 14-15), some throw things (Andre and his sabre mask) and some bury it deep and face it later alone, when they're ready. I guess, I'm not willing to face it yet. Glad that some of the guy sabreurs managed to survive pools and make it to DE.
Watched the bouts of the foilists, sabreurs, epeeists; reckon most did pretty good for a first time. Started to feel a bit depressed for getting RJC at the end of the list. On a lighter note, got to watch some really exciting sabreur matches (Ann is incredibly qiang and yes she topped women's sabre!) and picked up some strategies. And even better news, Ruth topped the female epee event! Choong Wing, unfortunately lost to Bai Rong 6 - 15. :(
Still, I'm inspired to do better for the next competition which would be U-17 teams in a week's time. I'm not sure how much a day of practice can yield but I certainly hope enough to make a marginal difference...

Thoughts: I wish some people could be more tactful or maybe I need to learn to be less sensitive. Comments, even if made in jest, or so I hope, can unknowingly twist the heart... I didn't realise I was wearing a mask right after I shed my sabre mask...Sigh

No comments: