Sunday, July 30, 2006

Cabaret



Cabaret

What good is sitting alone in your room?
Come hear the music play.
Life is a Cabaret, old chum,
Come to the Cabaret.


I am no patron of the arts, but when I saw the trailer on Arts Central one night, I knew I had to watch this. Deliver Cabaret does: The powerful vocals and nuanced acting of the varied cast, the titillating pelvic thrusts and sensual moans of the strutting dancers, the glitzy razzmatazz costumes right down to the illumination of the stage lights. I only wish the slight letdown of an ending could be more fufilling and hopeful. Love does not conquer all here. And that is reality.
Kudos to Emma Yong as the psychotic slut with questionable taste in nail polish (Sally Parker Bowles) and Fei Xiang as the deliciously naughty, sneering and leering Emcee. They were undoubtedly the gems of the show.

No comments: