Friday, July 07, 2006

Fencing makes my day

The school day is drab, dull. Fencing trainings are the sparkles that brighten and spice it up. They send me into a high of delirium as the adrenalin rushes with my blood. Must be the enjoyable interacting with the people I can hit on so well with, even better than some of my classmates.
I attempted to teach Joanna some of the new techniques and drills we had learnt and practiced since the start of the holidays and skipped the sabre lunch as a result. Think I was rather impatient and gave her short shrift at times because I naturally have a low threshold of patience and did not sleep too early the night before. We practiced the drills for about an hour before talking about all kinds of random topics, from David's girlfriend to the U-17s. After a while, Jing Xun, Darren and Reub came and we compared our common test results. From what it seems, I don't think I'll be alone during Chemistry Remedial =P! Misery indeed loves company. Laughed at Darren's new haircut, commenting now he looked as bad as Reub, which got me the finger from them both. They threatened to lock my fencing stuff inside the PE store, but I had already taken it outside earlier when I was meeting Joanna :P.
For once, we did not do bladework and footwork drills at the start of fencing. We did distancing drills instead, with the rules being a maximum of 3 steps and a lunge and yellow cards given for parrying, bad posture and crossing legs. Best of all, blade contact is banned. Was tired out after scraping 2 narrow wins against Joanna and Yu Hua.
We moved on to electric fencing not long after. It was essentially the same drill except that we were now wired up. When Darren asked me to help him clip, I mistakenly clipped it to the back of his lame instead of the side of it -_-. My incredible blurness strikes again! Fenced with Charmaine 5 points since Dar and Reub had finished and it was a really close fight, which ended 4-5. Learnt that despite comments from the coaches or referees or anyone else, fencing has to continue. Distraction only serves to lose your momentum. Sun Lu fenced someone else following us and gained 2 points in rapid succession with his speedy lunges. But the punchline was when he overbalance, fell and the person tried to go for the kill. Sun Lu gamely stuck out his blade and ended up getting the point :P, sending all of us into guffaws of laughter. Dar and Reub went again and JX got suited up to electric fence. No-one appeared to one to fence him so I decided to give it a shot :P. Given my severe lack of experience, I was given a huge advantage. One light his point, two lights automatically mine. It was a challenge for him to hit me without getting hit and the final score was 5 - 2 in my favor thanks to a big dose of luck. Reub took perverse pleasure as quoted from JX in saying Counter-attack No when two lights came on :P. Still, that bout was quite a sham.
Did some free-fencing with JX and he was being nice and sweet. I managed to get 4 points of him before succumbing to a quick attack. Presided for Reub and Dar and as always, the score between them was fairly close. Did some sparring with Reub (my nemesis, I can never seem to score points off him :( ), and got struck many times in a row with the same trick. My distance keeping needs to be more consistent and I have to stop parrying while stationery. Hand speed is also really slow... :(. Sparred with Darren, JX (5-15), and Joanna before calling it a day, it was already 7+. The 4 of us trooped to the canteen to cool down and hydrate ourselves before leaving for our homes... It has been a fruitful experience; every bout has a lesson to teach as it exposes your shortcomings.

No comments: