Friday, January 19, 2007

GP Debates

I would hate to be arguing with Suat. Her solid conviction in her stand, wild gesticulations, already commanding voice that tapered to a crescendo and red-faced exertion was enough to send our class into fits of laughter. By the end of the crossfire, only Suat and Jay were left to defend their viewpoints. The rest of us debaters bade a hasty retreat and joined the audience in their amusement. It was like watching Taiwanese parliament, the difference being in GP lesson. Jeremy was totally for his stand and showed it with his grave intonations, precise hand gestures, and fervent tries to engage the audience. In fact, he was so good I think he could have persuaded a desert nomad to buy ice-skates. As for me, I merely stood up and rattled off my speech with the paper covering my face. So, despite the amount of preparation put in, I don't think many people understood what I was intending to put across. Me included =P. Jay did a great job through helping the underprepared JunHow and Pam beef up their scant points and to their credit, they tried their best. Trust the ex-debater to set things right!
The opposition, composed of Amelia, Jeremy, Sut and Phil, won the debate, which was commendable because the motion "In order for Singapore to progress, we should not restricted by strict adherence to democracy, rather what really matters is good governance" highly favored the proposition. On a happier note, immunity from being a debater for the next round!

No comments: