Thursday, January 04, 2007

Internal Sabre Comp

3 hours till the intra-club competiton so I chilled out at the library, alternating from attempting to do maths and chatting with some of my fellow fencer friends. The sabre tournament was rather rushed and despite the 3 pt handicap for pooles, I had 3 victories and 3 losses, conceding all my bouts to the PRCs. On a random note, there was this UBER rich ACS (I) guy who paid 300 bucks for his sabre and 800 bucks for his visor mask!!!
By some stroke of luck, I was ranked sixth and fenced off with Yu Feng. Beat him 15-5, many thank to the 8 point lead for girls. I actually managed 3 one lights on him! Fenced Joanna and beat her 15-13, certainly was a close call :(. Darren and Reuben must be fated to fence each other before the finals and their scores are likewise fated to be incredibly close (15-14 to Reub's favor). Reub did very well and smacked the other guys to a score of 15-4, considering he was having a stomach upset earlier on. I entered the semi-finals and was to fence Faii. Lost 15-12 but was pleasantly surprised to score 4 points. The others said I could have beaten him if I was less static, had bette technique and captalised on his aching back. Faii and Reub didn't fence because Faii's back injury was giving him a really bad time. Guess I should't underestimate myself too much. Confidence has never been one of my strong points. On hindsight, although it is ever perfect, I was frustrated to know I had been making the same mistakes I had been doing drills regularly to rectify. Darren says I need to learn how to keep a cool head under fire so I hope I can get that by Novices. In the mean time, drills, drills, and more drills!

No comments: